The Tiffin Community Foundation is a tax exempt, publicly supported charitable organization that operates primarily as a permanent collection of endowed funds. Grants are made from the funds to qualified organizations providing charitable or educational benefits to the community.
In 1914, a Cleveland banker developed the concept of a community foundation. This allowed many separate charitable funds to centralize their administration and thereby reduce their costs and allow more of their assets to be distributed to worthy causes in the community. Today there are more than 700 community foundations in the United States. The community foundation is the fastest growing form of philanthropy and is often among the first to support the emerging needs of its community.
A community foundation serves three principal groups: donors, charitable organizations, and the community as a whole.
- It serves donors by providing a vehicle to establish a permanent charitable fund. It also allows donors to make charitable contributions to already existing charitable funds.
- It serves charitable organizations by providing technical and administrative services. It also strives to identify and address emerging community needs and to make or encourage grants to address those needs.
- It serves the community as a whole by promoting local philanthropy in many forms.
The Tiffin Community Foundation was founded in 1983. Attorney Charles D. “Bud” Hering, Jr. created the foundation with assistance from Warren Kahn of Fifth Third Bank. Attending the first meeting were the following charter foundation trustees: Mrs. Jane Frost Kalnow, Mr. Gordon C. Wagner, Mr. Fred Corbin, Mr. Fred Spurck, and Mr. Hering. Mr. Kahn served as secretary.
The foundation has grown to include more than seventy funds.